FAQS 11 | After Registration/Enrolment

11. After Registration/Enrolment

After you are enrolled, you will receive an email from your student affairs office with all the essential information. If you still have doubts, please contact your Academic Unit.

After registration/enrolment by the Academic Services, you will receive an email with your Católica account access credentials.

The Helpdesk will assist you in this matter. So please send an email to helpdesk@ucp.pt.

The requests for declaration/certificate of registration/attendance can only be made online through ESCA.

You will receive instructions from Católica regarding your student card.


The request for the transportation card declaration can only be done online through ESCA

The declaration will be immediately available for download. If you experience any problems, please send an email to academicservices.lisboa@ucp.pt

You can collect the documents that you requested on ESCA, and is where you present your original application documents.

Please check the other available services here.

To change your address, phone number or email, you should access ESCA and select your name/programme in the upper left corner, "personal information" and change the necessary data.

To change data related to your identification document, e.g., number, expiration date, etc., you should send a copy of the new document to academicservices.lisboa@ucp.pt and request that change.

The Helpdesk will assist you in this matter, so please send an email to helpdesk@ucp.pt

Católica has a school insurance policy with coverage for all students.

In case of an accident the claim should be reported to Academic Services as soon as possible, following the procedure below:

  • print the claim form, available on the Academic Services page, and fill it in;
  • attach a detailed medical report;
  • deliver the form to Academic Services – Front Office (Library building, level 0) along with the original receipts for expenses incurred;
  • the expenses must be paid by the student and will be reimbursed later by the insurance company.

Yes, school insurance coverage includes students participating in Erasmus or other mobility abroad programmes. It also includes internships organized by the Academic Unit.

Please check the site of your Academic Unit, and if you need help, send an email to your programme’s student affairs office.